I love my birthday.
Actually, I love all the birthdays in our family. Mine’s the best, of course, but they’re all like mini holidays that only the six of us share.
But with mine I get presents and everyone has to wait on me. So that’s the best, of course.
In our family, you get to do whatever you want on your birthday (except you still have to go to school and work–I think we can all agree that weekend birthdays rule). You can eat whatever you want and you get to choose the restaurants or menu for all the meals that day and no one else can complain if he doesn’t like your choice. If you want to eat junk food all day long–you’re allowed to do that. Washed down with gallons of soda, if that’s what you’re in the mood for. (Vomiting is allowed but not encouraged on birthdays.)
And of course there are presents: a shower of homemade and store-bought.
I think it’s pretty obvious why I’m stoked that tomorrow’s my birthday. But if you’re the kind of person who needs to see lists, here’s a list of why tomorrow’s going to be the BEST. DAY. EVER.
2. Tuna melts.
4. Max’s early present to me (you thought I was going to list another food, didn’t you?) See below.
5. Annie’s early present to me (not so easily copied so you don’t get to see it–but it’s great).
6. All the other presents I’m going to get.
7. Handwritten cards from (at least some of) my kids.
8. Birthday wishes from friends on Facebook.
9. Getting to decide whether we’re going to celebrate by going out or staying in. (No suspense there).
10. Being one year older.
Okay, maybe not that last one so much.
But aging is a small price to pay for getting to celebrate a birthday. I make that bargain every year and I’ve never regretted it. Then again . . . where there’s no choice, there’s no problem.
Happy birthday to ME!